If you simply want to remain healthy as you age, or if you are overweight or suffer from diabetes, high blood fats, elevated blood pressure, heart or vascular disease, autoimmune disorder – yes, just about any disease- you can benefit from adding this smoothie to your routine. Dr. Waters has embraced this way of eating as his lifelong approach to obtain and maintain maximum health.
Dr. Waters uses a healthful breakfast to start the day right with a low carbohydrate, moderate protein, high fiber, nutrient dense meal that provides satisfying energy that lasts for hours. It is a super smoothie and consists of the following:
- 4oz. of fresh or frozen organic berries (Doc rotates blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries and strawberries). These foods contain huge quantities of health-promoting nutrients such as polyphenols and bioflavonoids. If you would like to sweeten your smoothie further, Dr. Waters recommends adding a few drops of liquid stevia.
- Two scoops of low carbohydrate protein powder. Whey protein made by Tera's Whey of Reedsburg, Wisconsin is great for those who enjoy dairy. There are several choices available with as few as 5g. of carbs per serving. Hemp, pea protein and gelatin are great dairy-free protein options. There are even protein sources entering the market made from crickets that Doc has yet to try! He usually uses the product CM-Core which contains a variety of antioxidants and essential nutrients making his breakfast a nutritionally complete meal.
- One large scoop of Medibulk fiber blend. This product normalizes bowel function and serves to feed the friendly intestinal germs known as the microbiome. This group of micro-organisms is now thought of as a “virtual organ.”
- As much fresh kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens or other leafy green vegetables as can get into the smoothie without it being too thick. There is an incredible amount of fibers, plant pigments and cancer preventive components such as sulforophanes in these leaves and they represent the “missing link” in our modern diet for obtaining maximum health.
- 1 tbsp. of powdered greens from Longevity Plus.
- 1 tbsp. of organic powdered beet root. This product is loaded with pigments and nitrates that increase the level of NO (Nitric Oxide), which helps regulate our artery lining (endothelium) and acts as a signal for a variety of biological processes. Celery and arugula are also good sources.
- To make the smoothie creamy and so that it satisfies your energy needs for hours, add ¼ cup of unsweetened full-fat coconut milk or 1-2 tbsp. of another source of natural fats or for an extra energy boost try MCT oil which is a liquid fraction of coconut oil composed of the shortest chain fats.
- For a thicker texture try adding chia seeds, shredded coconut flakes or avocado.
- For a thinner drink thin the smoothie with a low sugar version (less than 2g per serving) almond, rice, and hemp or soy milk to make a drinkable smoothie. Rotate these to get a variety.
This makes a large, nutritious breakfast that will hold you for 3-4 hours. It is a great start for your day and gives you the vegetable base that we all so lack. Bon Apetit!
Note: You can obtain the protein powders, fiber product, beet root powder and green powder form our office.